30 Jun Best Assistance Devices for Seniors
During the coronavirus crisis, the staff remains available to help you or a loved one find Independent, Assisted Living, Board and Care, and Memory/
Dementia Care Communities at NO COST to our clients. Above all, we are the local experts in locating the best senior living options and we are still here to help families–even during this uncertain time. Please don’t hesitate to call.
Charmaine and the staff at Senior Living Consultants
Overall, the majority of seniors want to continue to live in their current homes as they age. In fact, a 2018 AARP survey of adults (age 50 and older) shows approximately 75% want to stay in their homes and/or communities as they grow older. And although most seniors want to age in place, only 59% anticipate they will actually be able to remain living in their home–or in a different home–within the same community.
Fortunately, there are a variety of assistance devices, specifically designed for seniors, to help them get around more easily and safely. These products help seniors go about their daily routines in a secure manner and increase their overall safety and long-term health. Here are some innovative assistance devices which you can buy online. Be sure to talk with your health care practitioner to make sure any of these devices are right for you.
5 Top Assistance Devices for Seniors
1. Activator Poles. These poles were designed by an occupational therapist and gerontologist specifically for people undergoing rehab after hip/knee surgery. Activator Poles assist users with balance (to help reduce fall risk) and take pressure off the hip, back, and knee joints. They also aid those with long-term conditions like MS, Parkinson’s disease, and osteoarthritis. The poles also help improve posture and core-strength. Adjustable for height up to 6′, Activator Poles have an ergonomic hand grip, bell-shaped tip, and button locking system for added stability. https://www.amazon.com/ACTIVATOR-Balance-Stability-Walking-Nordic/dp/B01JQDFLKK/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=activator+rehab+poles&qid=1625088078&sr=8-2
2. Sock Aid. This innovative device makes it easy to put socks/compression stockings on or off. Sock aids are great assistance devices for people who have trouble bending, twisting, turning, or those with limited mobility. There are a variety of brands and styles available. Click on the link below and type in sock aid in the search bar to find the one that is right for you.
3. Tub/Shower Transfer Bench. For seniors, the bathroom is the most dangerous room in the home. Studies show that for people 65 and older, 80 percent of falls in the home happen in the bathroom. Slick floors from water and soap scum, sharp corners, hard tile floors, and stepping in and out of a bathtub are hazards in the bathroom which lead thousands of seniors to sustain injuries, or even deaths from falls every year. A transfer bench is an innovative product which provides more stability and easier access to get into and exit a bathtub/shower. The bench is placed over the outer ledge of the tub, so the user can simply sit in a seat (without stepping over the tub ledge) and slide to the bathtub. There are a variety of brands, styles, and prices available. Click on the link below and type in tub transfer bench in the search bar to find the one that is right for you.
4. Tall Walker. We learn so much for our clients and their families. The daughter of a recently placed client told us about the tall walker. Her dad is over 6’6″ and his neck and back hurt by hunching over using his standard walker. The tall walker adjusts an additional 5″ in height. There are a variety of brands, styles, and prices available. Click on the link below and type in tall walker to find the one that is right for you.
5. Bed Assist Rail. This simple, yet effective device provides assistance for seniors when getting in/out of bed. The bed rail is held securely under any size mattress with a stabilizing bar and rubber tipped legs. It also serves as a safety rail for seniors who may be prone to falling out of bed. There are a variety of brands, styles, and prices available. Click on the link below and type in bed assist rail to find the one that is right for you.